ALL ABOUT WICKLESS CANDLES
What is a wickless candle?
A wickless candle is a container candle with no wick.
What is a Wick? A candle wick is a cotton or wood strip in the middle of a candle jar that holds the flame as the candle burns. A candle wick is important in that it influences how the candle burns, so the bigger the wick, the bigger the flame. Candle wax is comprised of carbon and hydrogen atoms that turns into water and carbon dioxide when burned if a perfect flame exist. If not, then some smoke will be seen from time to time which indicates release of soot into the air. All wicks are not created equal and hence may not necessarily burn clean meaning you might get soot in your space from time to time.
Wickless candles do not have wicks hence no need to worry about soot being released into your living space. They are heated by a warmer which allows only the scent to fill your living space without burning off the wax, providing a controlled release of the fragrance. Wickless candles also allows the addition of a higher percentage of fragrance oil (FO), as well as items such as botanicals, crystals and colorants such as mica powders all known to clog candles with wicks often leading to fire. They can be decorated with dried flowers and crystals and used as a home décor item still filling your space with great scent due to the higher percentage of fragrance oil content.
Wickless Candles are safer than wicked candles, since there is no wick, no flame, no soot, or toxins, hence no fire hazard. These features make them safer to use around your family, especially when you have kids and pets. .
How do you use a wickless candle?
Wickless candles are very simple to use contrary to what people think, and are not as expensive.
Since wickless candles have no wicks, you simply place the candle jar on a wax warmer, plug in your warmer, remove candle lid, and switch warmer on. It is that simple!
Back to my reasons why wickless candles are cheaper and more efficient, compared to a wicked candle.
Let us take a 3oz wicked and 3oz wickless candle jars for example. While a 3oz wicked candle, with constant burning, might be out in few days. A 3oz wickless candle can last for a month or more, even when melted every day. Reason being a wickless candle does not burn the fragrance oil and wax, hence, the quantity does not reduce, you stop melting or throw out the wax when you feel the scent is not as strong as you like.
In conclusion, if you have not tried a wickless candle, I suggest you give it a try and you will never go back to candles with wicks. You will get more use out of your candle, won’t need to worry about soot or toxins and you can be assured there is no fire hazard to worry about as well. If you have kids or pets or have allergies to flame (from toxins), wickless candles are your best bet when it comes to candles.
To reduce the workload of our fire fighters and save our environment, join the #wicklesscandlemovement #safecandles
I will end this write up with an excerpt from National Fire Protection Association statistics on US household fires that resulted from burning candles:
“During the five-year period of 2014-2018, US fire departments responded to an average of 7,610 home structure fires that were started by candles per year:
- Candles caused 2% of reported home fires, 3% of home fire deaths, 6% of home fire injuries, and 4% of the direct property damage in home fires.
- Roughly one-third (37%) of home candle fires started in bedrooms. These fires caused 40% of the associated deaths and 49% of the associated injuries.
- Falling asleep was a factor in 10% percent of the home candle fires and 15% of the associated deaths.
- On average, 21 home candle fires were reported per day.
- Three of every five (60%) of home candle fires occurred when some form of combustible material was left or came too close to the candle.
- December is the peak time of year for home candle fires, followed closely by January. In December, 12% of home candle fires began with decorations compared to 4% the rest of the year.
- These fires caused an annual average of 81 deaths, 677 injuries and ~$278 million in direct property damage.” NFPA Link
Remove candle lid before melting. Never leave candles and/or warmers unattended. Warmer can get hot so use keep away from children and pets. Tin/glass and wax is hot once melted, do not touch. Not edible. Do not mix with water or other substances.